Nambia has launched a digital Nomad Visa that allows other nationalities to work, travel and study in Namibia for six months.
According to 2021 statistics by A Brother Abroad, there are approximately 35 million digital nomads worldwide, who contribute a global economic value of USD 787 billion. More and more countries like Mauritius, Indonesia, and Hungary appreciate and embrace remote working as a reality and have introduced digital visas in the past two years.
Why would anyone want to live in Namibia?
Namibia gained its independence from South Africa in 1990 and since then has been politically stable. The country boasts wild seascapes, rugged mountains, lonely deserts, stunning wildlife, and colonial-style cities.
Namibia is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, South Africa to the south, Angola to the north, and Zambia and Botswana to the east. With an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, a desert landscape and some of the highest sand dunes in the world.
Namibia Digital Nomad Visa
The new visa, which will be available to freelancers or people working remotely for companies outside of Namibia, offers an easy process for foreign nationals to live and work in Namibia. To qualify, aspiring digital nomads are expected to submit the following documents:
- A complete visa application form: https://nipdb.com/nomadvisa/
- A six (6) month bank statement
- A letter of motivation from the NIPDB
- Proof of sufficient funds/income to be self-sufficient in Namibia: Provide proof of income/funds (Payslip/Employment Contract): to sustain themselves and their dependents (USD2000 – Applicant, USD1000 – Accompanying Spouse, USD500 – per accompanying child per month).
- Proof of medical insurance and/or comprehensive travel insurance covering risks while in Namibia. Approximately USD62 (NAD1100) will be required upon arrival as payment for the Visa.
- A certified copy of a passport
- Motivation and declaration that the individual is either self-employed or has a non-Namibian employer and will be working from a Namibia base but earning revenue from outside the country.